The theatre is a traditional proscenium arch with seating for up to 360, this accommodation is made up of 236 seats in the stalls, (of which four are wheelchair access spaces), while the remainder of the seating comprises the tiered circle.
Built in 1878 the theatre is well equipped with up-to-date sound and lighting facilities yet retains the wonderful atmosphere of its Victorian origins. Having undergone recent refurbishment the stalls are now removable, providing space for a dance hall, thus enabling the theatre to be used as it was in the 1940’s.
The Theatre Bar is intimate and cosy it has extensive sea views and is the perfect meeting place before a show and is always popular afterwards.
The theatre is home to a wide and varied mix of entertainment including plays; traditional drama, pantomimes, musicals and comedy. Concerts, tribute shows, music hall and variety shows ensure that audiences of all ages will find something they enjoy.
The venue itself is popular with touring companies and performers who enjoy visiting here.
A History of the Venue
1878 – 1939
Whitby Pavilion Theatre or Saloon as it was first named, was built by Sir George Elliot on land known as the West Cliff Estate.
When Whitbys only theatre; the Theatre Royal located near he town centre, burnt down in 1823, it was decided a new home for the arts should be constructed and between the years 1878 – 1880 the Whitby Pavilion was built.
During World War I all entertainment at the Whitby Pavilion or ‘Spa’ as it was fondly referred to then, ceased. After the war in 1919 not only was a huge make-over given to the building, but plans were drawn up for a lavish extension which become known as ‘The Floral Hall’ in which countless concerts and dances would take place throughout the next 2 decades.
1940s onwards
After another closure during the annoucement of the Second World War, the pavilion remained shut until Victory in Europe day in 1945. After it re-opened the years rolled by and throughout the 50s, 60s & 70s theatrical productions continued in the theatre by both visiting companies and by talented local actors and musicians.
During the 80s it became obvious that the life of the glass-covered Floral Hall had come to an end and it was decided that the building should be replaced. In 1989 the old building was demolished and in no time at all, a brand new extension rose like a phoenix from the debris, soon to be entitled ‘The Northern Lights’ enjoyed by many for is size, space and sea views.
The grand old Victorian theatre continues to be home to many local societies and visiting companies who entertain audiences all year round and long may this continue for many more years to come.